Katalon - Create Automation Test Case
In Katalon test case can be created easily even with no or little coding experience.
Katalon studio supports keyword driven testing where Katalon test cases consist of keywords, these keywords are nothing but the action performed.
Steps to create a test case in Katalon Studio:
- Navigate to File → New → Test Case
- Directly go to Tests Explorer → Test Cases, right click and then New → Test Case
There are three ways to create automation test cases:
- Record and Play in Katalon Studio
- Manual Mode
- Script Mode
Create test case using Record and Play in Katalon Studio
Record and Play allow user to:
- Quickly record the test cases
- You can easily capture objects and actions performed.
- Update and edit recorded steps
- Recorded test cases can be replayed easily.
1. Click on Record Web Icon in the toolbar.
2. Web Recorder window will open with the option to add a URL and select the browser.
3. Click on the browser icon, it opens the browser and you are navigated to the URL mentioned in the WebRecorder window.
4. Now perform your actions on the web application and the actions are saved, also Katalon will identify the objects.
5. You can identify and save the element as well,take the cursor to the element you want to detect and press Alt+~ to capture the element in the Object repository.
Object can be saved in Object Repository
6. In record and Play mode , you can replay the actions recorded above.
Create test case using Manual Mode in Katalon Studio
- You can add keywords and actions step wise
- Can refer captured objects in the steps
- Allows to drag and drop keywords directly to the manual script
- Can run test case on any browser.
- Helps testers to automate test cases even with no or little programming knowledge
1. Capture objects using Spy Web. Enter the URL in Web Spy window and click on browser icon.
2. Capture element using Alt + ~ short key or by using capture object option when mouse is right clicked.
3. Click on Save button to save objects captured to Object repository.
4. Now these elements can be directly used in test case.
5. Create a test case and open its manual Mode.
6. In Manual Mode click on Add button to add Web UI or any other keyword.
7. Execute the test case and see logs are captured.