Dynamic Testing | Definition ,Techniques and Types
Dynamic testing technique validates the functionality of an application through execution of the code.
Dynamic testing technique is applied later stage of development lifecycle.
- It is used to detect defects and to determine quality attributes of the code.
- When the code being executed is input with a value, the result or the output of the code is checked and compared with the expected output.
Classification of Dynamic Testing Techniques:
- Specification-Based Testing Technique
- Structure-Based Testing Techniques
- Experience-Based Testing Technique
1) Specification-Based Testing Technique:
- This is also called Black box testing
- It does not require for tester to know the implementation details or be able to interpret the inner workings of the code.
- Mostly done by the QA department.
Types of Specification-Based Testing Technique
- Equivalence Partitioning
- Boundary Value Analysis
- Decision Tables
- State Transition
- Non-Functional Testing
2) Structure-Based Testing Techniques
- White box testing or Glass box testing.
- Tester should know the code development, review and be able to interpret the code.
- Structure-Based Testing Techniques has two purposes i.e test coverage measurement and structural test case design.
- Test coverage measures the amount of testing executed by a set of test
Types of Structured-Based Testing Technique
- Data flow
- Symbolic execution etc.
- Control flow
- Statement coverage
- Branch/Decision coverage
- Path Coverage
3) Experience-Based Testing Technique
- Experience-Based Testing Technique of executing testing activities with the help of experience gained through several years.
- As per experience, Tester focuses on the important areas of the software.
- This testing technique is used for low-risk systems
- The knowledge and experience of people is used to analyse the test cases
- This approach may be useful under extreme time pressure
- Testers validate the software product quality with their past experience of testing the similar type of product in the respective domain.
Types of Experience-Based Testing Technique
- Error guessing
- Exploratory testing
Type of Defects found in Dynamic testing
- Functional Defects
- Non- Functional Defects like performance, usability, etc.
How to choose the right Test Techniques??
Factors need to be considered in selecting the right Testing Techniques.
- Development life cycle
- Type of System
- Level and Type of Risk
- Test Objective
- Time and Budget
- Tester Experience