Integration means combining. Different tests interfaces between components, interactions with different parts of a system, such as the operating system, file system and hardware, and interfaces are combined and tested
The strategy employed can significantly affect the time and effort required to yield a working, higher-level element.
Note: ‘‘integration testing’’ is sometimes defined as the level of testing between unit and system..
Some features of integration testing
- Testing done to verify communication of data and actions across different systems, hardware, software or environmental components.
- It also tests nonfunctional aspects.
- Performed after integration of modules, software and external components.
- Integration techniques are used.Preferably this should be in incremental mode rather than a BIG BANG approach as it’s harder to isolate failures
- Aims to remove defects and performance issues due to integration of various systems.
Software and system design
Sub-systems database implementation
There may be more than one level of integration testing
- Component Integration Testing: tests the interactions between software components and is done after component testing
- System Integration Testing: tests the interactions between different systems or between hardware and software and may be done after system testing.